For many, Fall is a timeless season that evokes fun childhood memories of trick or treating, pumpkin carving, apple picking, and dressing up in our favorite costumes. This time of year is spent with our family enjoying quality time amongst each other’s company doing the seasonal activities we grew up with and cherish. However, coming from different parts of the country to attend Marist or even those that are close but cannot go home because of impending school work, we tend to miss out on these activities. Have no fear! Just because we are a little bit farther from our loved ones to do these enjoyable activities does not mean that we cannot do them at all! The Hudson Valley is chock-full with activities all year round, but here is a list of ten fun fall seasonal things to do near school with your friends or family:
1. If you’re looking for a good scare, head to the Headless Horseman for hayrides, a haunted house, and over 7 other attractions. SPC (Student Programming Council) is even sponsoring a discounted trip there including the ticket and transportation.
2. This is an apple-picking orchard on steroids. Take the trip to Barton Orchards for anything you could imagine and including apple picking, pumpkin picking, hot cider, apple cider donuts, hayrides, family activities, and more.
3. While the Walkway over the Hudson is not strictly a seasonal thing to do, trust me, take the mile walk from campus to the bridge on a sunny day during the fall and you will not be disappointed. Hey you could even stop at the Palace Diner on the way for some pumpkin pancakes and pumpkin coffee (basically all things good in this world).
5. Definitely make an effort to go to the St. James Historic Graveyard Tour right in Hyde Park. Just a short drive from school, the guided walking night tour takes you through a 200-year-old graveyard. Enough said.
6. What better a time to take a low-priced sightseeing cruise through the Hudson Valley on the river than in the fall?
7. Keep up with Marist College’s own SPC calendar for fun fall activities on campus. On October 25th and 26th gather your friends for the SPC movie on campus, “The Conjuring”, an ever so creepy horror movie.
8. Lastly, College Activities is designed for students, by students, so let them guide you through the seasons with their holiday-in-mind events!
– Alexandra McCahill
Marist College ’15