You should talk to your school’s financial aid office – they will have information about your federal student loan options. Additionally, you can speak with the U.S. Department of Education’s Federal Student Aid Information Center at 1-800-4FED-AID (1-800-433-3243) for information on student loans.
- 1 Who do I call to talk about my student loans?
- 2 How do I speak to someone at my student loan company?
- 3 Who can help me figure out my student loans?
- 4 How can I get rid of student loans legally?
- 5 Is nelnet a federal loan?
- 6 Is FedLoan servicing a government agency?
- 7 Do student loan companies call you?
- 8 How do I speak to student finance?
- 9 Do student loans go away after 7 years?
- 10 What happens if you never pay your student loans?
- 11 Can I buy a house if I owe student loans?
- 12 Can an attorney help with student loans?
- 13 Do student loans drop off after 20 years?
Who do I call to talk about my student loans?
call the Federal Student Aid Information Center (FSAIC) at 1-800-433-3243.
How do I speak to someone at my student loan company?
- England, Scotland and Northern Ireland: 0300 100 0611. Wales: 0300 100 0370. Overseas: +44 141 243 3660. Open Monday to Friday, 8am to 6pm.
- Grant overpayments: 0300 100 0629. Loan overpayments: 0300 100 0628.
- Grant and loan overpayments: 0300 100 0495.
- Student Loans Company. 100 Bothwell Street. Glasgow. G2 7JD.
Who can help me figure out my student loans?
The federal government and many private lenders assign each borrower a student loan servicer. Your servicer should be your first point of contact for student loan help. You can find your federal student loan servicer by logging into your My Federal Student Aid account.
How can I get rid of student loans legally?
Options to Get Out of Repaying Student Loans Legally
- Loan Forgiveness Programs.
- Income-Driven Repayment Plans.
- Disability Discharge.
- Temporary Relief: Deferment or Forbearance.
- Student Loan Refinancing.
- Filing for Bankruptcy: A Last Resort.
Is nelnet a federal loan?
Nelnet is a federal student loan servicer working on behalf of the U.S. Department of Education, the government agency that lends you or your child student loans.
Is FedLoan servicing a government agency?
FedLoan Servicing, otherwise known as the Pennsylvania Higher Education Assistance Agency, is a non-government entity that manages repayment for Federal student loans.
Do student loan companies call you?
Financial schemes and scams were most frequently reported to have stemmed from a phone call. If you get an email, letter or call about student loan debt forgiveness, pause before you send along any of your personal information. It could be a scam.
How do I speak to student finance?
Contact Student Finance England on their general enquiries phone number by dialling 0300 100 0607 if calling from within the UK or +44 300 100 0607 if calling from any other country. You can call this phone number to apply for a maintenance loan, report missing payments or calculate your remaining student debt.
Do student loans go away after 7 years?
Student loans don’t go away after 7 years. There is no program for loan forgiveness or loan cancellation after 7 years. However, if it’s been more than 7.5 years since you made a payment on your student loan debt and you default, the debt and the missed payments can be removed from your credit report.
What happens if you never pay your student loans?
Let your lender know if you may have problems repaying your student loan. Failing to pay your student loan within 90 days classifies the debt as delinquent, which means your credit rating will take a hit. After 270 days, the student loan is in default and may then be transferred to a collection agency to recover.
Can I buy a house if I owe student loans?
You can still buy a home with student debt if you have a solid, reliable income and a handle on your payments. However, unreliable income or payments may make up a large amount of your total monthly budget, and you might have trouble finding a loan. 6
Can an attorney help with student loans?
If you’re dealing with delinquency or default or considering filing for bankruptcy, a student loan lawyer may be able to help. Student loan lawyers can help you with the nuances of private student loans, too. Only a licensed attorney in that particular state will know what can and can’t work.”
Do student loans drop off after 20 years?
The Pay As You Earn Repayment Plan qualifies you for loan forgiveness after 20 years of on-time payments. The Income-Contingent, or Income-Based Repayment Plans qualify you for loan forgiveness after 25 years of on-time payments. Information for applications for Income-Based Repayment can be found at StudentLoans.gov.